Are You Closing Deals, Or Closing Doors?

This week I would like to start by thanking Tina and Alice for their e-mails last week. It’s always good to get feed back from you the reader.

I sometimes sit at my laptop till two or three in the morning writing these sales training tips and quite often wonder if anybody really reads them, so when I do get some feedback it inspires me to continue each week in the believe that, if each of you can learn just one more sales skill reading this site. And that helps you to close one more deal and achieve one more sale this month. Then the whole reason for me writing this Sales Training Blog will have all been worth it.

Last week I had the privilege of training a new sales team for a resort marketer that is opening up a brand new cold line this week.

The sales team consisted of a mixture of experienced sales reps and non experienced sales reps.

Some had already been selling timeshare for many years, some were moving from telemarketing over to direct face to face sales for the first time and some had virtually no sales experience at all.

A fairly mixed bunch to say the least.

Whilst planning the weeks training I was reminded of a few things.

The longer you are in sales, the more knowledge you will gain, the harder you make the job!

Sometimes you can read so many sales books on the art of closing deals and overcoming objections that it becomes a battle of wills and the ultimate goal of the salesperson is to force his opponent (the client) into a corner where he has no other option but to buy your product, or run out of the door screaming that he felt too pressurised and needed more time to think about it.

It doesn’t matter as long as you can boast to your fellow sales reps afterwards how you won the battle and forced your client to make a decision on the day even if it was “No!”

I remember way back in my early days being told once to imagine the sales process as like walking your clients down a long corridor. The corridor is full of doors that your clients will try to escape through and it was my job to close all the doors along the way so that the only door left open for the client to walk through was the buying door.

I never realised how wrong that analogy was back then and thought like most new people that the sales profession was a hard job and only the tough survived and made any real money.

What a relief it was when I discovered that the key to achieving more sales wasn’t about forcing your clients to do something they didn’t really want to do. It was all about helping your clients to get what they really wanted. I discovered that all I needed to do was find out through some very thorough fact finding what it was my clients really wanted, provide it within the price range they were willing to pay for it and hey presto, I had another deal.

I stopped working hard at closing my clients into making a decision on the day and started listening to what they wanted instead and guess what? My sales doubled, my closing percentage was higher than it had ever been and I was earning twice the commissions for half the work.

So the moral of this week’s lesson is: Work smart not hard. Get back to basics and start listening to what the clients want to buy instead of trying to close them into buying what you want them to buy and I promise you you’ll start closing more deals with only half the effort. Who knows you might even start to enjoy the job again.

If you there’s a particular sales skill or closing technique that you would like me to cover in future articles, or an objection that you are having a problem overcoming, leave me a comment below or drop me an e-mail.

Remember: there is no such thing as a foolish question, only a fool who doesn’t ask questions.

See you next week.

No comments: