The Assumptive Close And When You Should Use It.

I have been working for the last two weeks with a very good and long established Telemarketing team listening to them pitch and looking at different ways we can fine tune things to improve their conversion rate even more.

I was very surprised to listen to one lady who has been with the team a long time, has years of experience, is always in the top five in all the sales competitions ending what is a very good pitch with a weak open ended question.

The team are cold calling clients on the phone and asking them if they would like to attend an appointment at a local office close by with a view of getting rid of their Timeshare Weeks or Points Clubs.

Not too difficult when you know the clients you are calling have already registered with a Timeshare Resale Company before to try to sell their Timeshare in the first place.

This particular lady has a near perfect pitch, until the final close.

She immediately connects with the clients, has a very calming way on the phone, gains the clients interest and always gets through the entire pitch until she gets to the final part when she asks:

“So would you like to make an appointment then?”

That question, worded that way will normally always be answered with a “No”, “I need to speak to my partner first” or “Not yet but call me again in three weeks time when I’m back from my holidays” etc etc.

I know it’s an alternative choice question and the client can only answer “Yes” or “No” but it’s the wrong one to use here.

What I suggested to this lady was to change the “Alternative Choice Question” for an “Assumptive Close Question”.

Assume the client is going to book an appointment anyway and instead of asking: “So would you like to make an appointment then?” finish your pitch with: “So when would you like to go and see them?” “Can you make it on a weekday or would it need to be a weekend?”

What we have achieved here is to move the clients thoughts from, “Do I want to make an appointment?” to, “When would I like to make an appointment?”

In just one week, by changing that one thing in her pitch this lady has moved from a 20% conversion rate to a 40% conversion rate.

So the old saying, “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks,” certainly isn’t true in sales!

I’ll see you next week.

If there’s a particular sales skill or closing technique that you would like me to cover in future articles, or a particular objection that you are personally having a problem overcoming, leave a comment below or drop me an e-mail.

Remember: there is no such thing as a foolish question, only a fool who doesn’t ask questions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

id like a telemarketing spill for timeshare.

Alan Roy Hocking said...

Hi Anonymous, you can check out my E-Book "Telesales Tips" Here: http://www.alanroyhocking.com

It might help you out with a few pointers on Telemarketing for Timeshare.