The Best Closers In The World

My twin daughters are the best closers in the world.

At only three and a half years old they have already learned the priceless lesson that “No” doesn’t always mean “No!”

I’ll give you an example.

When they come to me to ask for something and my first answer is “No” they immediately ask “Why?”

It might be that I’m in the middle of something important or that I need to get up from the sofa and move to get them something that they want so they realise that I didn’t mean “No end of story”, I just meant “No not at the moment”.

If I say “No because…..” I have now given them an objection to overcome and children are the best negotiators you will ever come across. They will start by asking the same question from different angles. They have also already learned to ask for more than they want. If they want a pony they’ll start by asking for a horse knowing that they can always negotiate down to a pony or at worst riding lessons! And when all else fails and they still can’t close me they start the whole process again with Mum.

So what can we learn from this to make ourselves better closers?

1. Don’t be afraid of the word “No”.

2. Never accept a “No” without asking “Why” and if they can’t give you the reason “Why” then the initial “No” might just have been a defence reaction. Dig deeper and find out the “why”.

3. When you get the “Why” out into the open you now have a genuine objection to overcome and close.

4. Find several ways of asking the same question.

5. Ask for a bigger deal you can always negotiate down to an affordable option later when you have got it down to just the money.

6. Remember that when one person has said “No” it doesn’t always mean that their partner agrees with them and they can help to close the deal for you, so always trial close all people present on the presentation.

Lastly, children are such good closers because they focus 100% on what they want and they will not be swayed until they get it.

Nothing else exists in their heads until they have received what they wanted.

We all need to learn to focus 100% on getting the deal every time when we do a presentation and there should be nothing else in our heads until the sale is made and the contract is signed.

Then we can start to think about how we are going to spend all the money we are now making!

See you next week.

If there’s a particular sales skill or closing technique that you would like me to cover in future articles, or an objection that you are personally having a problem overcoming, leave a comment below or drop me an e-mail to: info@simplesalesandmarketing.com

Remember: there is no such thing as a foolish question, only a fool who doesn’t ask questions.

1 comment:

dan garcia said...

Well explained and I have the opportunity to be a closer in a resort So, any technic that you share with me... where be share and explained in to your page! thank you! from Mexico.